Love

"Whenever I watch romantic movies, witness couples kiss and make up, listen to love songs.. I smile and feel good 'cause I know that love still works, if not for me, at least to others." - Ally McBeal

Monday, August 15, 2016

My Turkey Diaries: Comparing to UAE

I will leave Turkey on 1st of September but I feel like I have been here for such a long time and with that being said I will still be probably sharing about my experiences in Turkey for months to come as they are far too many to be written in one go. 

I had been in UAE for a decade now and admittedly most of the time all I do is rant especially about the cost of living. But because of my vacation in Turkey I am seeing UAE in a different light now. Truly there is no such thing in the world as a perfect person or perfect place. These imperfections is what making humans an interesting species on earth.

Every not so good thing I have to say about UAE there will be also good things and hence it is the same with my experiences in Turkey even in such a short period of time. In Istanbul the fares are affordable starting from 1.50TL up to 2TL and of course it favors me and to the rest of us so for me that is a good thing. But then when you have to go to provinces or other cities that fares are 70TL and above. Hmmm. As far as I known oil prices are dropping right? It's the exact opposite in UAE as over there the starting fare price is 10AED (I am in Ajman so we don't have Metro or Buses) so for me that amount is expensive. But then going to far away emirate like Abu Dhabi fare the last time I asked was only 25AED. I hope I am making sense and I am not confusing you. I am not saying one country is superior to one another. Just stating my facts from my own experiences. 

A kilo of beef would cost 40TL and above of course it is surprising for me. Turkey is a very big country so I was expecting that their poultry (Is that the correct term) is flourishing. In the provinces I have seen so many huge spaces where they would you know a place to breed them. Because beef is not exactly cheap in the UAE but at least a little affordable. And those beefs are not only coming from Pakistan but also from other countries from the other side of the continent. And those places are nearer to Turkey than UAE. But beef shanks or bulalo is relatively affordable here. 

What's up with the chicken? Do they have different breeds that I find myself seeing price differences? One day I got a whole chicken for 14TL and the next day I got a chicken from another shop while chicken of course for only 8TL. But then chicken is the most affordable meat so I can see myself eating tons of chicken until my last day here.

When I was in UAE I love to complain how the prices of pork are so expensive. And why it is not a walking distance from me. Forgetting to appreciate that at least pork is allowed. At least they have pork as consideration for us, pork eaters. Now in Turkey it surprises me that there is pork but very limited and once again much more expensive than the prices in the UAE. UAE's population I mean the locals are all Muslim but they allowed pork for non Muslims. While Turkey I know a little percentage of them are Catholic or Orthodox. So imagine why I am surprised about the pork in this place. This place is really making me curious every time. 

But then the vegetables and fruits are really, really affordable. You can get a kilo for only 1TL but the thing is I am out of the house all the time as I am a tourist here doing sight seeing so I can't bring around with me all those vegetables and fruits can I? 😬. In the end I realized that I'm used to variety of food. They may not always be healthy but then that's the way it is. And that would be all for today. Goodnight from Istanbul.

No comments:

Post a Comment