Love

"Whenever I watch romantic movies, witness couples kiss and make up, listen to love songs.. I smile and feel good 'cause I know that love still works, if not for me, at least to others." - Ally McBeal

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

West is West [2010 UK]



West is West, the sequel of the movie East is East. After a decade. In case you are wondering whatever happened to the family of George and Ella?


It was the holy month of Ramadan in 2010; we were in Dubai Mall on a friday afternoon (every fridays we are in the mall anyway, we do not have so many choices). My friend and I were looking for a good movie to watch. But I do not know why during ramadan they are not showing that much good movies. So we settled for this movie called "West is West" - what I did not know was it was actually a good comedy movie. This is the sequel to the movie East is East (that I haven't seen yet that time, I have seen it later after watching West is West).

In this sequel, Sajid now all grown up is having trouble at school in UK. Some kids at his school are making fun of him, well because of who he is. Being different from the rest of them. George his father has decided to take him to Pakistan; for him to know and understand where he came from. So most of the movie was not shot in UK. But I am not sure if the supposed to be Pakistan, were really shot in Pakistan. I hope it is as the location was very pretty. SO pretty that it made me decide one day I will visit Pakistan too.

I enjoyed the movie (if I did not, I would not be blogging about it and suggesting for you to see it too). Previously in the movie East is East, twice George tried to have an arrange marriage for his sons but both failed so in the end he just let them be. Nazir, the oldest turned out to be a gay and set up his own business. Tariq, his other son who's completely British also unmarried and managing his own business. None of George's sons are married yet. But one of them is currently in Pakistan, the only son who embraced being Muslim as well as the Pakistani way. George is hoping that someday he will find a wife as well.

One of the scenes in the movie that was quite heartbreaking for me was the look upon the face of George's daughters from this first marriage and also his first wife. By then, we already know that he has never been home since he left them until he married Ella the British girl. And one of the reasons why George's marriage to his first wife fell apart is because she cannot give him a son. Having a son is very important in their culture. Unlike his marriage with Ella, who bore him not one but 6 sons. The movie has shown, what it is like living in Pakistan.

One of the highlights of the movie for me was the closure between George and the first wife, the closure between the first wife and Ella. I forgot her name, that is why I am just addressing her as the first wife.

Honestly, until now I cannot fully understand what has been said in one scene in the movie. Sajid was in the car with his cousin and they were explaining to him how all of them were related to one another. As in their culture they do marry their cousins. If you will watch the movie and were able to understand that line please do tell me..

I will keep on watching different kind of movies and will share them all with you.

Happy watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment