Love

"Whenever I watch romantic movies, witness couples kiss and make up, listen to love songs.. I smile and feel good 'cause I know that love still works, if not for me, at least to others." - Ally McBeal

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Timeline of my Spending Spree

Just before I left Manila a decade ago I remember having only 2 mini skirts, around 3 jeans? And handful of shirts. Even the undies are just good for one week. And I'm washing clothes often in a week. Not using the washing machine but my hands. We have a hot weather back home that it will not take the whole day for the clothes to dry. And if I need a formal clothes I'll just go and borrow from my Auntie. We have the same size back then. The thing is I survived. And having less clothes was fine. But the young me was hoping for more. I was immature. Instead of planning ahead the future and aiming for more important things in life I was wishing for fleeting material possessions on earth. And so when I landed in UAE and got a little money well can't help but give in to the temptation.

2009 ~ Purchased myself a dozen mini skirts. Couple of shorts and some dresses. And those polo shirts too in different colors! I was happy while purchasing them. And I got them all on sale. But now looking back those were actually useless to me as I wore them only a couple of times and had been sitting in my closet since then. It is allowed in the UAE to wear those but the price is it can't be helped that there will be times that all eyes were on you. And since we have uniform at work I can use my other clothes only on weekends. I should have just kept the money I spent. Yes I need clothes but then what I'm saying is I need just few of it and those comfortable ones.

2010 ~ Finally I started wearing high heels and stilettos. I was not purchasing expensive ones usually the cheap ones and China made. But then again since we have a uniform at work what I need is black shoes. I was able to wear those high heels only on weekends and it was not a wise choice. As I have so many activities over the weekend as that's the only time to do those things. The crazy thing about high heels? They are so tall as if all the women would go to a party everyday. So I can't use them at work. When it comes to shoes either they are super flat or super high there is nothing in between. Crazy shoe designers and makers. In the end those high heels in different colors were worn only a few times. They can't even last for many years. I need shoes but I don't need a dozen of it. And I need those practical ones. This way I'll avoid wasting money.

2011 ~ If I'm not mistaken I was still into shoes by this year but then colorful shoes and I purchased some. Mostly were Brazilian brands of shoes. They were good. But the issue was I've got nowhere to use them. As I need black shoes in the office. Sadly it was a waste of money again for me and I ended up sending some shoes back home. Last time I went home they were just sitting on shoe rack as I'm the only one who has the smallest feet in the family. It ended up being a some sort of display. For someone so broke I love to waste my hard earned money. Tsk.

2012 to 2013 ~ This was the time that I started loving leather goods. How can I not as they can last forever? I was fed up with buying a bag or wallet on yearly basis. Because PU material items has a poor quality. They usually cannot even last for a year. First it was just a leather wallet. Then leather bag. Then finally leather shoes. I was into Timberland boots. Because Timberland has my size. And their boots and other shoes are mainly leather. When it comes to shoes by this year I don't have regrets at all as most of the shoes I got were on super sale. They are the same price as those shoes from China that I used to wear circa 2010. I have up to 10 pairs of shoes right now but mostly were gifts to me. So no regrets on that part as I did not actually waste money.

Speaking of regrets when it comes to leather goods the only one I have was instead of being contented in one letter bag; I wanted to have more. I now have 6 leather bags. And I don't use them often. I'm using only one of them. So somehow it feels like I wasted money again. Especially NOW that I feel like I'm getting weaker and a leather bag is too heavy for my weakening body. Yes it looks elegant and formal. But who cares about that? Why one should care how other people will perceive how he looks? What bag he is using? Or what shoes? Or what clothes? We are not models in a runway for crying out loud.

2014 to 2015 ~ I became interested into skin care products and make up. And so far these vices were the most expensive of them all as they drained my wallet big time. Even created so many mess in the room. So come 2016 when I decided to do my version of Konmari. I had been writing Empty Post almost every day and from those posts it reflects what were the items I purchased within this time frame. I'm tidying up everything in the room. It will take me a long time to finish but at least I already started. It has taken me a decade to finally wake up and break away from my shopping spree. Even though I buy only those that are in sale I was not really saving money as I was spending them instead. It would have been fine if I'm using those items everyday but using them once in a blue moon then its not worth it.

2016 ~ I will still buy. But the difference between now and then is I will not hoard and I'm wiser now. Though 10 long years is quite too long for this realization. Since April I was busy discarding items. Organizing my stuff. One thing is for sure I will not commit the same mistakes I have done before. Ever. ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment