Love

"Whenever I watch romantic movies, witness couples kiss and make up, listen to love songs.. I smile and feel good 'cause I know that love still works, if not for me, at least to others." - Ally McBeal

Monday, April 25, 2016

Going back to MAC ♥︎

Even when I hit puberty I was not interested in make up. The only time I used one was when I started working. In the Philippine setting though I am not sure if until now this practice exists as I had been out of the country for a decade now, having a pleasing personality also includes women wearing make up. I used to work as a service crew and the manager would scold me if I will be in the store with my bare face. I don't have make up. I don't mind women going crazy about make up but for me it feels like it should be optional. It is our own money so we should get to decide if it should goes into buying make up or not. It is our face then we should decide if we want to paint it or not.

When I came here to UAE to work I was glad that wearing a make up is not a must. Although there was a manager who suggested make up to me. Suggested. Not forced. And I was like sure why not? I will not lose anything upon trying. Well that episode lasted only for a few months and back then the end results on my face was bad. As I was not able to take care of my skin properly. Like falling asleep with the make up on. So I guess young women should learn first how to take care of their skin before learning how to put make up on. But even if I'm not wearing make up on daily basis once in a while if I am in the mood I would love to wear it.

Circa 2012 t0 2013 for the first time in my life I was interested in red lipstick. Something I avoided all my life thinking it was only for fair skinned people. And I would look like a slut in wearing one. Back then I was using Revlon, Maybelline and Rimmel. Now I can't remember which brand it was that red lipstick would bleed on my lips unlike the other colors. One Twitter user on my loop suggested to me the Russian Red from Mac. So with my eyes half closed I went ahead and purchased the said lipstick from Mac. My first ever lipstick from Mac. My first ever expensive make up. It was a big leap for me.

Mac has been around in the UAE market as far as I can remember but I don't go ever prior to me buying the Russian Red. Well buying make up for me and expensive one was and IS a crime in my pocket. But me wearing the Russian Red did not last long. I left that lipstick in Manila. I got tired of it easily as I realized I don't want people's attention on my red lips. I'm not the type who want to be stared at or be in a middle of attention. But then I still want to use a lipstick every once in a while. So from glaring red my attention shifted to neutral colors and lipgloss. At least that way I can put something on my lips and people will think that there's something different in my face but can't figure it out. Haha.

I can't remember right now the name of my first Mac lipgloss but I remember the price too well. It has costed me 130AED for a tube that I used for only a month! And so by the 3rd quarter of 2014 I started buying lip products under different brand names in the quest of finding similar to Mac but inexpensive. I have those lip and cheek tints thinking I would save money by having them. And between 2014 to 2015, in less than a year in fact. Unintentionally I accumulated at least 30 pieces or so of lip products. I wish to share photos but those are stashed here, there and everywhere. Each bag of mine seems to have a lip product. Some are at work. 

I'm the type who does not want to waste a product I purchased. A product wasted is a money wasted. But sadly seems that most of the lip products are heading that way now. Not unless someone is willing to use it. If I were to use them all seems like I would need to retouch every 5 minutes just to finish them all. And this got me thinking. If I were to round up all those products I think the price would be around 800AED. Pretty stupid of me huh? In the long run as I tried to find a brand that would replace Mac I ended up spending more money. 

Une Beauty is a French brand. I think their lipstick is superior to Mac in lesser price but they don't have the same colors of Mac that I want. Essence is a German brand and cheapest in UAE market but then again I'm not too happy with the colors. Wet and Wild is a US brand and said to be lipsticks that are perfect dupe for Mac lipsticks but I find them too drying for my lips. Gosh is a Danish brand of make up and the price is higher than Essence but lower compare to Une and Mac, but their lipstick happened to be extra creamy that it breaks easily.

Mac is insanely expensive in UAE market but then if you will think about it nothing comes cheap in this place anyway. And Mac would not have a cult of customers if they didn't get their lipstick formula right. But for me they seem to create colors that will have dupes but cannot be totally replicate. I'm drooling over their nudes. But can't have one just yet.

And so with this experiences I can see myself going back to Mac. But definitely not this year. I'm not a make up junkie. But I can't be without a single lipstick. Even though I'm not using it on daily basis. My plan? Geez. Will try so hard to finish off all these lip products I own. Painfully. Before they expires. And I get to finish them I'll go ahead and get myself at least 2 lipsticks from Mac. And I thought I was being frugal when I purchased those inexpensive products. And as of minimalism it would be better to have 2 tubes lying around rather than how many pieces scattered in every drawer eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment