Love

"Whenever I watch romantic movies, witness couples kiss and make up, listen to love songs.. I smile and feel good 'cause I know that love still works, if not for me, at least to others." - Ally McBeal

Sunday, May 24, 2015

Sake ~ Japanese Rice Wine in UAE Market

Since the last year I became interested in Japanese cuisine more than ever. Sake is a Japanese wine made of rice. It is one of the essentials in cooking Japanese food. Almost all the recipes I have and read requires sake. There are a handful of Japanese restaurants in Dubai and I wonder if they are using sake in their food? Also Sake is not limited to Japanese Cuisine there are also some Chinese and other cuisines that requires wine. 

The first and only Sake I have was from Ras Al Khaimah and that is one hour away from Ajman. Definitely out of the way. I am not too sure if Sake is widely available across the UAE. Or if bootleggers carry Sake. Don't judge me if I turn to bootleggers in acquiring one as there is no way I'll drive all the way to another emirate just to get one! But I have never met someone who is not a Japanese here in UAE that drinks Sake so why they would stock this kind of wine? There are liquor shops in Ajman and I haven't check them out. I'm hoping against hope that they have it. See? In UAE people who loves to 'drink' have choices. They can go to a bar. They can buy from bootleggers, but I am not suggesting it as it is illegal. Or they can buy from the liquor shops. While people like me who only uses them in cooking is having a hard time acquiring one! So yes this is a rant post! 

Wishful Thinking: I wish that Dean's Fujiya (Japanese Grocery Store) and Hanarum (Korean Grocery Store) will carry Sake or even the Shaoxing Wine. After all it is just another ingredient in cooking. 

5 comments:

  1. Have you had any luck finding these in UAE? I have also been looking, with no luck! Please let me know if you find out where we can get these locally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Sake is available in the UAE. BUT the shops I know are in Ajman and UAQ/RAK. If you are in Ajman everybody knows where is the store for alcoholic drinks. I don't know what the shop is called but it is near to Kempinski Hotel. The cheapest Sake costs 45.00AED I know because I got one last June only. I do not know any shops in Dubai where you can buy it.

      Delete
    2. Thank you soo much for the reply!! I have heard of the Ajman place and will have to check it out soon.
      Do you know anywhere to get Shaoxing Wine? I have been looking everywhere (even online) to get the Pagoda brand with no luck or even any unsalted shaoxing cooking wine.
      Thanks again!

      Delete
    3. I was looking for that one (Shaoxing Wine) also but unfortunately it is not available in the Alcohol Shops I know of. I don't even know the name of those shops. The one in UAQ-RAK is in Barracuda. They have Korean Soju for 15.00AED per bottle. Can you not just use Japanese Sake? They have at least 4 or 5 brands/types of Sake.

      Delete
  2. I won't recommend buying online when it comes to Alcoholic drinks. Even Mirin with Alcohol content is not available anywhere in the UAE. So I had to ask a friend to purchase it for me when he went home for vacation.

    ReplyDelete