Love

"Whenever I watch romantic movies, witness couples kiss and make up, listen to love songs.. I smile and feel good 'cause I know that love still works, if not for me, at least to others." - Ally McBeal

Monday, January 9, 2017

My Buhaghag Hair

PHOTO from Google.
Honestly I do not know why and where we Filipinas got this notion that beautiful hair means slim hair like the one in the photo. But in reality nobody has really a hair like that. Maybe there are a few lucky ones. But they are rare. I grew up seeing all shampoo and conditioner commercials were featuring women with perfect hair. So I am one of those who never learned to love my own natural hair. What is my natural hair? I have a thick hair. It is straight but then it is so buhaghag (loose or frizzy) that they can cover my whole head and my whole face too.

When I landed in UAE some of my colleagues back then were spending money for hair rebonding but I did not as I find it too expensive. But then sometime in 2008 Chinese salons started appearing in Dubai with services so affordable. And so I had my first hair rebond for 300AED in 2009. For the first time ever my hair looked slim. And I was happy. But I was hesitant to do it on yearly basis as 300AED is still expensive for me. But then again since Chinese salons keep on popping up and their competition became tough that most started to lower their prices. Succeeding hair rebonding for me cost either 220AED, 200AED and even 150AED! The results would last up to one year and more.

But last February 2016 I find myself bored and with other negative emotions regarding the hair rebonding. As during that time I had to sit for 6 hours. My hair is really straight and so buhaghag is my only concern. So I went ahead and purchased a lot of hair products. Looked for my stash if I have any hair products from the past. But then NONE of the products managed to tame my hair. That in the end rebonding is the only solution. I still have some unused hair products at home which I'll get rid of soon enough. It was a lesson learned for me anyway that next time around I will never waste money anymore on hair products. That will not meet my hair goals.

This January 2017 I find myself going back to the Chinese salon again to do a hair rebond. And this time around I seriously started questioning myself if it is really worth it? A lot of people around me are sad because  of thinning hair but I am lucky enough that I will never experience this. It is in my genes that all of us in the family have extremely thick hair than usual. So I know that falling hair will never be a problem for me. But instead of being thankful I am still complaining. Just because society says buhaghag hair is ugly and I have to comply. Instead of embracing my uniqueness. I think what happened to me with my last hair rebond was a karma. Extreme heat from the hair dryer hurt my scalp so much that it managed to trigger my migraine that I spent the whole Friday night in bed with throbbing veins in my head. The whole day of Saturday until early Sunday morning I was in bed.

I am writing it as a reminder to myself in case that after a year I decide to do hair rebonding again. Having sick for days because I can't take the heat of hair dryer is not worth it. I am the type who hates getting sick and not be able to do anything. Plus the smell of chemicals in my hair adds up the pain in my head. Maybe it is a sign that I should stop hair rebond for good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment